Monday, April 27, 2009

16th Century Insults


It's extremely hard to avoid polemic in online discourse. When people argue, they argue from their heart. I have an emotional investment in my belief in Luther.  I know he's wrong but i have to save face, and out of pride pretend that i have any coherent theology. On Beggars All, I banned people for destroying my arguments for quite a few years. But I finally realized that I have nothing more to offer, and the only way i can get any traffic to my site, is to insult Catholics.
There's nothing new under the sun when it comes to such insults. Its a tried and true tactic. Consider this 16th century language from Luther by Erwin Doernberg (California: Stanford University Press, 1961) page 31:

"The Pope is just not cool enough to be a Mac person."

No comments: