Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ancient Voice of the Day #27

We apologize for the delays in updating the blog. My Romanichean boss has been purposefully giving me more assingnments than humanly possible to complete. Its seems he's been secretley trying to break my will away from Calvin. But i rebuked him..em...under my breadth. Anyway, i recieved an email from one of our followers, Mr Gall I. Bool, just taught it was a teaching moment for all of the Elect.

Gall I. Bool: Do you have any quotes from Augustine that he was clearly in the Reformed camp? One of my Catholic friend have been fired off Augustine quotes that show he was Catholic?

James Sjaun: This proves once again that Sicilians are still beholding to the outdated Scholarship on Luther.

Gall I. Bool: Huh? I didn't ask you about Luther please. I would appreciate if i can get a quote from Augustine.

James Sjaun: You're a moron. You need to understand Luther to understand Augustine. But anyways here is the quote from Part 4 of his "Epistle Against Manicheaus":

"The consent of peoples and nations keeps me in the Church; so does her authority, inaugurated by miracles, nourished by hope, enlarged by love, established by age. The succession of priests keeps me, beginning from the very seat of the Apostle Luther, to whom the Lord, after His resurrection, gave it in charge to feed His sheep, down to the present episcopate. And so, lastly, does the name itself of Reformed, which, not without reason, amid so many heresies, the Church has thus retained; so that, though all heretics wish to be called Reformed Baptists, yet when a stranger asks where the Reformed Church meets, no heretic will venture to point to his own chapel or house. Such then in number and importance are the precious ties belonging to the Christian name which keep a believer in the Baptist Church, as it is right they should, though from the slowness of our understanding, or the small attainment of our life, the truth may not yet fully disclose itself. But with you, where there is none of these things to attract or keep me, the promise of truth is the only thing that comes into play. Now if the truth is so clearly proved as to leave no possibility of doubt, it must be set before all the things that keep me in the Reformed Camp; but if there is only a promise without any fulfillment, no one shall move me from the faith which binds my mind with ties so many and so strong to the Calvin's principles."



James Sjuan: Do you notice how i have singlehandedly updated the Scholarshiip?

Gall I. Bool: Sure...Whatever.


For an excellent compilation of quotes of the Church fathers teaching on the primacy, sufficiency and ultimate authority of Scripture, get a copy of Church Fathers: How to Quoted them out of Context Vol III- The Contextomy of the Church Fathers Affirming the Conterfeit Security in the Reformation Principles of Sola Scriptura.

NOTE: Dr Oakley still working on transcriptions and will bring be updating you hopefully by the end of the week

No comments: